I really feel like there are two kinds of people out there: Mountain-loving, crisp air-consuming, cool-weather folks and beach-going, sunshine-soaking, water lovers.
I’m for sure a cooler weather lover. We went to Canada for our honeymoon if that wasn’t enough of a hint for ya.
However, Summertime in the South is a way of life (and especially here on the Gulf Coast). Summer typically starts anywhere from April to May and lasts easily through September. The days are long and there’s no shortage of fun activities in the sun.
Have you noticed how much your skin changes when the weather turns though? How we spend our days and what our skin is exposed to significantly changes how we need to meet our skin’s needs. My hope for this is that you’ll discover how to get your healthiest skin as well as how to protect your family this Summer while we enjoy all of this outside time.
Let’s hit on skincare first. Whether you are normal, dry, or oily, your skin’s needs change in the Summer. The humidity level increases and so does sun exposure and with that, it’s so important to change your skincare accordingly to keep your skin glowing through the Summer and at it’s optimal health level.
My encouragement for you would be to find a four step routine that works for your specific needs. Why a 4 step routine? Implementing the four basic steps: cleanse, prep, treat, and protect help all of your products work together for best results. I’m hitting on just a few specific Summer favorites but if you need help picking out a routine that works for you, fill out my skincare consult form here.
Let’s start with everyone’s faves: the glowgetters
1. The Overnight Resurfacing Peel has been a complete game-changer for my skin. You get the same effects as a chemical peel: deep exfoliation, minimizing pores, brightening skin, but it’s super gentle and doesn’t pack harmful effects like a harsh chemical peel does.
I like this for Summer because you can apply right before bed after a long Summer’s day chasing the kids at the beach and slip into bed and still see significant results when you wake up in the AM-busy moms, this one’s for you!
2. The Balancing Charcoal Mask is great for those of you looking to control oil, reduce redness, and clarify skin. If you feel like the Summer’s heat does a number on your pores-this heavy hitter visibly purges them and is gentle enough not to strip your skin. The formula was also recently updated with the same great clarifying components but less drying and easier to remove!
Take 10 minutes after a long, hot Summer’s day to relax and detox that skin!
3. The All Bright C Serum deserves a post all by itself (and there may be one coming very soon!). Y’all. Six months worth of stock for this serum sold in 2 1/2 weeks and people are seeing serious results. Vitamin C should be in everyone’s routine-especially for Summer but this C Serum is especially effective+potent. It contains 10% Vitamin C and is one of the most shelf-stable serums you can find on the market (meaning it won’t lose potency sitting in your medicine cabinet like most Vitamin C does).
It’s a top product for Summer because it helps achieve that glowy, bright skin while also protecting against environmental stressors. It contains natural antioxidants like Tumeric and helps achieve that no makeup glow we all want! Unfortunately it’s sold out, but you can email me to get on the wait list for when it restocks!
4. Last but not least: Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF protection. This one is a true triple threat. It’s a cross between skincare, makeup, and sun protection. It packs skincare benefits like peony root, Vitamin C, and sodium hyaluronate for smoother, firmer skin. It’s a sheer coverage so it’s primary makeup function is just to even skin tone.
I wear this daily because I love the glowy look that it gives but I also love that I have daily SPF protection. As a mom, I can sometimes get everyone else covered with SPF but then forget about myself and as a core component in my AM routine, I at least know that I have my face taken care of while getting out in the sun.
Let’s talk Safer Sun Protection Friend
With longer days and more time outside, sun protection is even more important. Protection from the sun isn’t the only thing that you need though, it’s also protection from chemical-based sunscreens. If you aren’t already aware, chemical sunscreens can wreak havoc on your skin, long term health, and the environment. Check your bottles for ingredients like oxybenzone, octinoxate, and avobenzone.
If you do have experience with mineral-based sunscreens though, your first thought is probably super thick, super white, and super sticky formulas. Well I’m here to tell you that doesn’t have to be the case. We’ve used safer sun protection for several years and Beautycounter’s is by far the best formula I’ve used. (Y’all know I’m completely transparent and will be the first to tell you of all brands as long as they’re safe+high performing). Beautycounter’s Countersun line is formulated with non-nano zinc oxide. It’s safe, smells like oranges, and is gentle enough to use on our son’s sensitive skin. Here are my favorite fun in the sun products:
For the kids: Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Stick and Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist.
1. I love the Countersun Sunscreen stick because the formula covers but isn’t sticky and makes it so easy to grab a flailing toddler and quickly apply to face, ears, neck, even sometimes arms/chest if needed. Also, this $20 stick has lasted me a year and a half.
2. The Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist is a total life saver. I like it for so many reasons but here’s the top: It’s air-powered (rather than aerosol), it sprays at an angle for easy application, goes on white so you can see where you’re applying but dries clear, and doesn’t leave sticky/greasy residue!
For the parents: Countersun Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Mist and Countersun After Sun Cooling Gel
3. The Countersun Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Mist helps my fair skin look like I have a hint of color. It protects against the sun, smells like a tropical vacation, and hydrates my skin. What more could I want? If you have naturally tan skin, you can also look at the medium-deep formula to enhance your color for that extra sun-kissed look!
4. The After Sun Cooling Gel has saved my husband more times than I can count. It immediately cools and hydrates skin and is the perfect relief after a day of sun and especially when just a little too much Vitamin D was consumed.
5. Dew skin again because I love it that much.
Lastly, Bug Spray!
In the South mosquitos are the villains of Summer. What’s worse than going to a crawfish boil or having a popsicle with your family outside and not being able to enjoy it because you’re swarmed with what my kids call “squitos”. As tempting as it may be, back away from the Off my friend.
There are much safer options that don’t include deet and hormone-disrupting fragrances. Our favorite kid-safe brand is Hello Bello (also available at Wal-Mart). We also use and love Murphy’s Naturals around the home (also available at Target and on Amazon).
I wanted this to function as a resource for you so you can have a fun, safer Summer. I included primarily Beautycounter because that’s what we use, love, and trust but I’m more than happy to talk through any safer options that you’re considering! Send me an email and I’d be happy to chat with you so you and your family can enjoy Summer time safely!