We have used, loved, and adapted this recipe many a times over the past few years. I like it because it sneaks in bits of broccoli, it’s super simple, but still packs some really delicious flavor.
I have wrestled with alternative pastas for a long time. I don’t like the consistency of them and always end up going back to the regular thing. I’ve recently found a Great Value variation that I love! Also, whole wheat is another go-to. This recipe packs the perfect balance of vegetables, protein, and carbs. It’s filling enough to be satisfied but not feel weighed down and it’s completely adaptable. I’ve left broccoli out completely and added sauteed squash or zucchini.
What makes it cleaner
Swapping out an alternative pasta, using fresh vegetables rather than canned, and lean chicken all make this dish a little cleaned up. Also, check the spices you’re using! We love Magic Seasonings but look out for undesirable ingredients in premixed seasonings. Also if you prefer not to use butter, Ghee can be substituted but I beg you not to leave out the parm!
What makes it simple
Dinner. In less than 30 minutes. What’s more simple? Also, I think this dish totally wreaks of simplicity when you eat it, but doesn’t lack in flavor! My kids eat veggies pretty well but don’t love broccoli, I always put the bigger pieces to the side and add a fruit.
This recipe was adapted from from an original posted by Laura Vitale.
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 6 cups of Broccoli Florets
- 4 Cloves of garlic sliced or grated
- 1 1/2 cups of Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 16 oz of Pasta
- 3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup of Freshly Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts sliced in half lengthways
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning we use Magic Seasonings brand
- Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes optional
- Fill a large pot with water and sprinkle in some salt, bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions, reserve ½ cup of the starchy pasta water.
- In a large skillet with high sides, preheat 2 Tbs oil and garlic together over medium heat, add chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add broccoli, cook for about 7 to 8 or minutes or until tender.
- Using 1 Tbs of oil, baste one side of chicken breasts and coat with light salt and lemon pepper seasoning. Flip chicken breasts and repeat on opposite side. Add to skillet and cook 5-7 minutes on each side or until middle reaches 165 degrees.
- Using a wooden spoon, smash up some of the broccoli, add the cooked and drained pasta and the butter and parmesan. Stir everything together, turn the heat up to medium-high and cook for 1 minute. If you feel like you need a bit more liquid slowly add the reserved starchy cooking water.
- Serve chicken over pasta, add a few red pepper flakes to parent’s bowl if desired and enjoy!