This is my husbands favorite meal (which he makes sure to tell me every time I make it).
We use to call this the pre-race meal because Stanley would always request it before a race/run. Now we just eat it so much that it’s called Greek night around here.
There are a lot of different components that all come together quickly. It’s both light and filling, as well as incredibly fresh. It’s inspired by hands down my favorite meal: Chicken Schwarma from Byblos in Metairie, LA (if ya know, ya know).
What makes it cleaner
Using quality Greek yogurt, and fresh (mostly) organic ingredients for starters. This dish just wreaks of freshness and is incredibly nutrient dense with a blend of fresh vegetables, healthy fats from avocado, hummus, and quality oils.
What makes it simple
Like I said, this dish has a ton of components, however, I think that’s what makes it fun and so interesting. You can also totally switch up these components all the time (and often we do!). I have an optional add on for roasted veggies. Remember, I always make my recipes to last us (a family of four) two nights so that’s one less night of cooking. You can also make several of these components ahead of time like the taziki sauce and vegetables and just focus on preparing the rice and chicken on the night of.
I really can’t wait for you to try this meal! Put your own spin on it that’s appealing to you and your family, I can’t wait to see what creative things you come up with!
Family Greek Chicken Night
- 2 lbs Chicken breasts boneless skinless, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 1/2 lbs Cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups Brown rice Basmati Rice, or Quinoa cooked
- Pita about 1/2 per person eating, we use Joseph’s Lavish Pita
- 2 cups of greek yogurt OR one 17.6 oz Fage Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber shredded
- 1 latge clove of garlic or 2 small minced
- 1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs dried dill
- pinch of salt
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 1 small purple onion sliced
- 1 Tbs avocado oil
- Feta to taste
- Prepared hummus
- If you are adding the bell peppers and onions, preheat oven to 400 degrees, slice in long strips and coat with 1 Tbs avocado oil and salt and pepper to taste. Cooking for 20 minutes and tossing halfway.
- Add water to pot and cook rice/quinoa according to package directions.
- Next, prepare the taziki so it has some time to sit in the fridge. Shred cucumber, mince garlic and add to greek yogurt. Add vinegar, salt, dill, stirring to combing and let set in fridge until time to eat.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half lenthways. Add chicken to large bag or bowl. Add 1 Tbs olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, and clove of minced garlic, tossing to combine. Once coated add thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper. My favorite way to do this is to add it to a hug bag and let the kiddos go to town shaking it up.
- Prepare large skillet over medium heat, adding 1 Tbs of olive oil. Once warmed add chicken cooking for 5 minutes on each side, checking for internal temp of 165.
- While this is cooking, slice the cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado, set the hummus and feta out for topping. When the peppers an onion are finished, you can toast the pita in the oven for just a minute on each side. *Side note you only need 1 cucumber and 1 avocado per night of this meal, save the other one for leftover night for a family size of four.
- To prepare, slice chicken to desired size, add rice, chicken, and roasted veggies to bowl. Top with fresh cucumber, avocado, and tomatoes, top with a spoonful of taziki, hummus, and feta if desired. Enjoy!